Thursday, October 13, 2011

Because now I am starting to freak out...

Week 31. Yup. That's right. 9 more weeks until my little Optimus Prime makes his grand entrance. Here's the deal: I can't actually wrap my brain around the DELIVERY aspect of this whole baby making thing. Sure, I want to go as natural as possible pending Dr's orders. Sure, I feel confident in my mommy survival skills as I grew up around kids and am super comfortable with them. However, the whole, "Hey, now you have to push a baby out of your vagina" part is a little...disconcerting. Dan and I have now completed the hospital tour. Next on the list is the online birthing class...yikes. And in November we have our babycare 101 class (I feel like it's more for Dan than for me but I'm sure I will get something out of it too). What I am pushing to the far nether regions of my useless brain continues to be the logistics of labor and birth. A little denial never hurt anyone...right?

Things that currently plague my dreams in addition to the exit point of said baby:
Hospital bag - just when should I be packing this and how much crap do I really need? This website amuses me greatly: The Great Big Hospital Bag Packing LIst
My water breaking in public - do I just drive myself to the hospital or do I wait for my lovely husband (who works 5 min from the hospital) to pick me up wherever I am and take me
My swollen feet - there is no amount of water intake or elevation that is going to suppress these tootsies into my size 9 shoes. In fact, a random pair of size 11's are tight on me right now.
My leaking boobs - really? Already? My worst fear is someone noticing before I do...
Preclampsia - I am predisposed to it. My swelling doesn't help. At what appointment am I going to go in and the Dr. is going to say, "Sorry lady, baby is done cooking. We've got to take him out TODAY!" Then I will openly freak about the hospital bag and disregard my fear of public leakage.
Clothing post baby - Yes, I realize I will have to still wear maternity clothes post baby. However, I own exactly one pair of jeans and one pair of khakis...I don't think I will be wearing them much around my house. My new goal: to update and class up the track suit.

All these things are stupid. I realize that. However, nothing is thought out rationally when 95% of your braincells are being sucked out by your fetus. In fact, all the planning and research I do on birthing techniques will most likely be lost the moment I go into labor. I suppose that if they can pacify me for the next 9 (!) weeks then they have served their purpose. The baby can't stay in there forever, right?...RIGHT?!

2 comments:

  1. Loved this entry! I'm feeling the same way! We finished our birthing classes two weeks ago and I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around how our little miss is going to arrive. I guess we will make it through aok as so many other women have done before us and will after us, but it is crazy and overwhelming to think about.

    Deep breaths...we're almost there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you posted on my blog - I didn't know you had one!! LOVE it after just reading this entry! You're in my favorite part of pregnancy - loads of excitement, preparation, & curiosity without being ridiculously uncomfortable yet! Just kidding - the end isn't that bad. And really - - neither is labor & delivery. You're right - the birthing class stuff goes out the window after about 6 hours of contractions. Ben was an awesome support and reminded me to breathe & use other techniques we learned in class. Just keep an open mind & know that your ultimate goal is total healthy baby evacuation - using whatever means necessary. Good luck!! (Now I'm going to keep reading...)

    ReplyDelete